Breakfast Cupcakes with Sausage and Apples
I love recipes that surprise me. And this one really did. First, it was quite easy to make. Second, the sausage and apple combination was delicious. Third, I really love that this can be made in individual portions (as the title suggests) or as one big “griddle cake”.
This is a great recipe for your upcoming Mother’s Day brunch. But you don’t have to wait until then to try it!
Use a jumbo muffin tin for 6 muffins or greased 9″ cast iron skillet- it will easily serve 8-10 people.
* 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
* 1/2 c. cornmeal
* 1/3 c. packed brown sugar
* 1 Tbsp. baking powder
* 1 tsp. baking soda
* 1/8 tsp .kosher salt
* 1/2 c. plain nonfat yogurt or buttermilk
* 1/4 c. milk
* 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
* 2 eggs
* 1 egg white
* 1/2 bulk breakfast sausage
* 1 apple sliced thin ( I like honeycrisp or fuji)
For the Carmel
* 1 c. packed brown sugar
* 1/3 c. heavy cream
* 1/4 c. maple syrup
* 2 Tbs. of a good bourbon or rum (optional)
* 1 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Coat cups of jumbo muffin tin with nonstick spray, these can be baked in a greased 9 inch cast iron skillet for 30 min.
3. Combine flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
4. Combine yogurt, milk, oil, eggs, and egg white in another bowl. Set aside
5. Brown sausage in a skillet about 5 min. remove and drain on paper towel.
6. Whisk brown sugar, cream, syrup,bourbon, and salt for caramel together in a skillet over med high heat, stirring often, Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 min.
7. Stir sausage into flour mixture and add yogurt mixture. Stir just until combined; mixture will be slightly lumpy. Fan apples slices in bottom of cups (make sure each slice has some contact with cup). Divide caramel evenly between cup- about 4 T each cup; top with rounded 1/2 cup of batter.
8. Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 30 min.
9. Let them cool briefly and run a paring knife around the edge before turning out of muffin tin.