Delicious Thai Rice Noodles with Shrimp (Pad Thai)
This dish is fun when you make it with friends, so you have a lot of help with the various stages of preparation.
Allergy warning: Contains peanuts
PAD THAI WITH SHRIMP
1 pkg (7-8 oz) flat rice stick noodles, broken in half
8 oz shelled and deveined medium shrimp
¼ cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup Asian fish sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
6 oz fresh bean sprouts (about 2 cups), rinsed
2 tablespoons unsalted roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
½ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
Fresh lime wedges
Since there are so many ingredients and you don’t want to overcook the noodles, it’s important to follow these cooking instructions exactly. You might find it helpful to prepare this dish with friends or family helping with the steps!
1. In large bowl, soak rice stick noodles in hot tap water to cover 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cut each shrimp horizontally in half. In small bowl, combine lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar.
Assemble all remaining ingredients before beginning to cook.
3. Drain noodles.
4. In nonstick wok or 12-inch skillet, heat vegetable oil over high heat until hot but not smoking.
5. Add shrimp, garlic, and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
6. Add eggs and cook, stirring, 20 seconds or until just set.
7. Add noodles and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
8. Add lime juice mixture, half of bean sprouts, and half of green onions, cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Do not overcook the noodles!
Transfer pad thai to platter; top with remaining bean sprouts, peanuts, and green onions. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges.
Makes 4 main-dish servings.