Honey and Olive Oil Spelt Bread
I love baking different types of bread. It is all the more satisfying when you know the source of the recipe and have confidence in the outcome. This comes from George who is an accomplished baker. Take time to look at her blog. This could not be a simpler recipe using white spelt flour. A lovely soft fresh loaf which is lovely straight from the oven with lots of butter. It makes wonderful toast too. I expect it can be made in a loaf tin with equally satisfactory results if you prefer to make more of a sandwich bread.
Honey & Olive Oil Spelt Bread:
- 400g white spelt flour
- 100g malthouse flour
- 10g salt
- 1 sachet instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 300ml lukewarm water
- Combine the flours in a large bowl (or free-standing mixer) and add the yeast.
- Add the honey, olive oil and 200ml of the water and mix until you get a firm but soft dough.
- Cover the dish with a teatowel and allow to double in size.
- Turn onto a floured board and shape in to a smooth ball, allow to rise again for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Using a pair of scissors snip a pattern into the top of the dough, brush with olive oil and place in the preheated oven, bake for 30 minutes or until golden and hollow sounding when the base is tapped.