Lamb Stew With Herb Dumplings
Try this Irish stew recipe with herb dumplings…great taste !
* 2 pounds lamb stew meat, or beef
* 1/2 cup flour
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
* 2 carrots, chopped in large pieces
* 4 potatoes, diced
* 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 bunch fresh mixed herbs, tied with a string (thyme, rosemary, chives, parsley)
* 2 1/2 cups beef broth
* Herb Dumplings:
* 2 cups biscuit baking mix
* 2/3 cup milk
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs or parsley
Coat meat in flour, then brown in oil in a skillet. Add onions and sauté. Place browned meat, onions and vegetables in large cooking pot. Add garlic powder. Place the bundle of herbs in middle of mixture. Cover with broth and cook 2 hours over low heat. While stew is cooking, make dumplings. Salt and pepper to taste. Make dumplings and add 20 minutes before stew is done. The great lamb stew is ready to serve…nice one ! Enjoy the feasts !
Mix dry ingredients with milk and herbs just until moistened. Drop onto boiling stew (do not drip into the liquid – drop onto vegetables or meat) and gently simmer for 10 minutes. Cover and simmer 10 minutes longer.