Meatloaf with Carmelized Onions and Shitake Mushrooms
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup whole grain, dried breadcrumbs
- 2 lg. egg whites, slightly beaten
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ lb. fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and sliced thinly
- 1 and ½ lb. ground beef (7% or less fat)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray loaf pan with nonstick spray
- Heat 1 tsp oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, until fragrant…about 30 seconds. Transfer to large bowl.
- Add remaining 1 tsp oil to skillet, add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally until browned, 6-7 minutes.
- Add to bowl with onion and let cool about 5 minutes.
- Add beef, ½ cup tomato sauce, bread crumbs, egg whites, Worcestershire sauce, basil, oregano, salt and pepper to bowl and mix until well blended.
- Transfer mix to loaf pan (4×9 inch) Spread remaining ½ cup tomato sauce over top. Bake until instant read thermometer inserted to center of loaf reads 160. About 1 hour. Let stand about 5 minutes before slicing.
Weight Watchers Points Plus value = 5