Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite…I made an easier version of this cake in 2009. Specifically, that recipe which you can see, here, used jam rather than a fresh fruit filling. At the time, I thought the cake was nice but not extraordinary and I gave it a tepid review. When I saw this recipe I thought it might make a truly special cake. I was wrong. Despite 5 bowls and 3 separate steps, the cake is quite ordinary. It has a nice flavor but it is way too much work for the end result. I do want you to know that most of the folks who have reviewed this version of the cake love it. I, however, found the cake layer to be dense and coarse and not at all what I had imagined it would be. The cheese and strawberry layers are quite nice, but, to my tastes anyway, the layers never came together as a harmonious whole. If any of you try this recipe I hope you’ll get back to me with your review. I’m curious to see if I am the odd man out. Here is the recipe should you want to try it.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake…from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by the Recipe Critic
Fresh Strawberry Filling
1-1/2 cup fresh strawberries, cut into pieces
3 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons water
1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into chunks
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream (full fat)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Filling
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch round pan with removable bottom with non-stick baking paper.
2) To make strawberry filling: Combine cornstarch and water to make a slurry in a bowl. Mix strawberries and sugar in a pan. Cook over low heat until strawberries release their juices, about 5 minutes. Add cornstarch mix and stir until well combined. Stir for another minute or two until it has thickened. Remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature.
3) To make cream cheese filling: Beat cream cheese on medium speed for about 30 seconds until smooth. Add sugar and egg and beat until well combined. Set aside.
4) To make cake: Combine flour and sugar together in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter or just 2 forks, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Measure 3/4 cup of the mixture into a separate small bowl and set it aside. To mixture remaining in mixing bowl, add baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix well.
5) In another bowl, beat sour cream, egg and vanilla extract until well blended. Using a hand whisk or a spoon, stir gently into flour mixture until just incorporated. Batter may be a bit lumpy. Set aside.
6) Spread batter in bottom and about 1/2-inch up sides of pan. Create a moat or well 1/2-inch from edge of pan. Pour cream cheese mixture over batter, being careful not to go beyond border. Spread strawberry mixture on top of cream cheese layer. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup crumbs over strawberry filling. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing cake from pan. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.